With James Pomeroy, Director of Global Health & Safety
#16: How to hire a safety leader and how to become a safety leader worth hiring.
With Francene Scott-Diehl, Enterprise Safety Director at PODS
Francene Scott-Diehl, Enterprise Safety Director at PODS, is an expert at recruiting world-class safety professionals. In this week’s episode, Fran and Joe discuss what it takes to become the employer of choice for world-class safety professionals and how to become a safety professional worth hiring.
Francene Scott-Diehl, Enterprise Safety Director at PODS, is an expert at recruiting world-class safety professionals, and this week, she's sharing all her tips and tricks for your benefit. Press play to hear more and take your career to the next level!
- Introduction to Fran and PODS [00:02:39];
- PODS company size, the daily operations, and the hazard footprint [00:03:14];
- The challenges of working for a young company like PODS [00:09:15];
- Fran discusses her first year at PODS and how she approached the recruitment of her safety team [00:10:54];
- The leadership catalyst that led PODS to hire a team of Safety Professionals [00:13:50];
- How Fran’s career path informed her driver-focussed safety approach [00:16:34];
- Fran discusses the strategies she’s implemented that have had the biggest impact on transportation safety [00:20:41];
- How Fran tracks her safety metrics [00:26:56];
- Fran shares the strategy behind her hiring process [00:31:49];
- How Fran communicates her recruitment requirements with senior leadership [00:36:06];
- The skill sets and perspectives Fran looks for when recruiting [00:41:23];
- How Fran communicates with prospective employees regarding their package expectations [00:46:55];
- The recruitment resources Fran uses when searching for new employees [00:52:36];
- Compensation in the safety industry today [00:56:45];
- What your safety degree means to recruiters [01:04:14];
- The importance of telling your safety story [01:08:53];
- Fran’s thoughts on how recruitment in the safety industry will evolve over the next 5 years [01:18:36];
- How companies can prepare for the changes occurring in the safety industry [01:22:05];
- Final remarks from Joe and Fran [01:23:41];
- & more.