With Bill Cobb, VP of Health & Safety at National Trench Safety
#14: Leadership lessons from a former fire captain.
With Larry Coots, Corporate Safety Director at Superheat
Larry Coots is the Corporate Safety Director at Superheat; an innovative tech-focused company that has won awards for its safety innovations. In this episode, he and Joe discuss how his background as a fire captain has shaped his leadership style and much more!
Larry Coots is the Corporate Safety Director at Superheat; an innovative tech-focused company that has won awards for its safety innovations. Having spent 20 years as part of the fire service team in Southern California, Larry has a refreshing perspective on what it takes to be a leader. In this episode, he and Joe discuss how his background as a fire captain has shaped his leadership style and much much more!
Tune in to hear them discuss:
- Introduction to Larry Coots [00:02:16];
- The purpose, benefit, and industries that require Superheat’s advanced heat treatment [00:03:24];
- How Superheat uses technology to manage and operate its heat treatment technology [00:06:02];
- Larry’s career path to date [00:07:16];
- The skills that Larry learned while working as a fire captain that assisted with his transition into the Health and Safety industry [00:13:04];
- How Larry’s experience as a fire captain shaped his leadership style [00:16:09];
- The Superheat org chart and structure [00:26:21];
- How Larry has created a connected culture with a geographically distributed team [00:31:07];
- The metrics that Larry and his team track [00:34:47];
- Larry discusses the various safety performance awards Superheat has won [00:38:30];
- SuperHeats internal program ‘Smart View’ [00:42:13];
- Joe and Larry discuss the ‘Bottom line up front’ [00:45:06];
- Larry’s thoughts on being a supportive and growth-focused leader [00:51:03];
- The importance of having a rapport with senior leaders [00:55:35];
- Final remarks from Joe and Larry [01:00:06];
- & more.